Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Smitty Two Smitty Two is offline

Default coil winding traverse data?

In article ,
"N_Cook" wrote:

Does anyone know of a source of data for the traverse spacing, turns per mm
or mil, for the smallest wire gauges of say 45 to 50 SWG or 40 to 45 AWG.

If wire is 0.05 mm thick, say, then the traverse should lay down at
something marginally wider than that. I appreciate it is dependent on
drawing die imperfections/ enamel thickness/ chaffing etc but at least a
starting value and then suck it and see with a trial run or 2 with the
actual wire. Or a formula for the general case.

--

Haven't been on this board for a while so I'm late with this reply.
Maybe you sorted it out already.

There is no gap between wires. Wire manufacturers publish minimum,
nominal, and maximum diameters for every flavor of wire they make. Use
the maximum. Just divide the bobbin length (traverse length) by the
diameter to get turns per layer. Then the only space you'll have between
wires is the amount by which your wire deviates from the maximum.

If you don't have and can't get the spec, you're best off with a
toolroom micrometer measurement of the wire in hand. The operative
adjective here is "toolroom." A standard shop mic is woefully inadequate
for this task with wires that small.