Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
SteveB[_10_] SteveB[_10_] is offline

Default Anyone doing any actual metalwork?

wrote in message
On Mar 25, 1:30 am, Don Foreman wrote:
On Tue, 24 Mar 2009 21:52:20 -0600, "SteveB"
wrote:

I bought two gates at a yard sale that I'm going to mount in the garden.
Got a great old office chair that needs a little MIG welding to stabilize
the base. I went through a little 1.2 hp Gamefisher motor I got with my
used fishing boat. I'm getting some steel ready to make window awnings,
and
getting the sewing machine tuned up.

What's everyone up to? So much damn political talk going on, you can't
hear
the jaybirds.

Steve

I haven't done jack **** lately beyond overhauling the treadmill.

I'm confident with MIG but I stil need to address E-field issues with
TIG re my implanted cardioverter.

A company that I worked for used gloveboxes for welding similar to
ones shown he
http://www.weldchambers.com/
Some gloveboxes are just lightweight plastic designed to be purged
with inert gas. Some heavier metal ones are designed to withstand
vacuum before backfilling with argon. (Saves time & argon.) Using a
metal glovebox for welding might give you better protection from stray
fields.
The downside is that they’re usually big awkward monstrosities and
your argon requirements might go up. Still you might design something
more suitable for yourself or find some tech company or R&D lab
discarding one. A big advantage is protecting the weld backside from
oxidation.
I don’t know if you’ve considered this option. It might be a bit
farfetched or overkill for your purposes.

How about just a plate with a couple of holes to reach through? Maybe
nonferrous. You could make it tall enough to be able to see over. It may
take some adjusting to use, but MAY (and I emphasize that word) work.

Steve