Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bill Noble[_2_] Bill Noble[_2_] is offline

Default Anyone doing any actual metalwork?

"Gerald Miller" wrote in message
On Tue, 24 Mar 2009 22:50:03 -0600, Joe Pfeiffer
wrote:

Depends on whether actual competence is required for metalwork.

I'm replacing the timing belt on my wife's '00 Intrepid, which
requires removing the vibration damper. There's a special service
tool for holding the damper in place while loosening the crankshaft
bolt. Last time I used an old serpentine belt and a clamp instead of
the tool, but this time I got ambitious....

Building a vibration damper holder requires cutting a six inch steel
disk. So, I finished building a circle guide for my sabre today. The
"universal" circle guide at Lowe's turned out to not be universal
enough.

Unwinding the recursion, tomorrow I see if the circle guide will
really help me cut a circle....

When I worked on Senior Son's '68 Firebird 6, I used a flat plate with
three holes to match the Puller bolt pattern with a chain drilled
opening for the retainer bolt. The end of the plate rested against the
frame. this was the only way I could see to hold the crank from
turning other than dropping the pan or using rope in a cylinder.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada

I don't know this car, but the usual way to lock the crankshaft is to remove
the starter and replace it with a piece that has a couple of "gear teeth" on
it that engages with the ring gear. I bought one for working on 944s, works
great. looks easy enough to build too