Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Joe Pfeiffer Joe Pfeiffer is offline

Default Anyone doing any actual metalwork?

Terry writes:

On Tue, 24 Mar 2009 21:52:20 -0600, "SteveB"
wrote:

I bought two gates at a yard sale that I'm going to mount in the garden.
Got a great old office chair that needs a little MIG welding to stabilize
the base. I went through a little 1.2 hp Gamefisher motor I got with my
used fishing boat. I'm getting some steel ready to make window awnings, and
getting the sewing machine tuned up.

What's everyone up to? So much damn political talk going on, you can't hear
the jaybirds.

Steve

Oh, and I almost forgot. I remounted the mailbox. Again. I think
this is twelve times it's been knocked over in four years. The latest
post lasted a long time; very stiff spring let the post pop back into
position after it's been hit. But this time the spring broke.

Some incidents have been accidental but at least a couple have clearly
been deliberate. I'm not sure about the last one.

Hmm... I may have to embed the next post in concrete. The concrete
will be reinforced with rebar. The ends of some of the rebar will
accidentally stick up a few inches above the concrete. Those ends
might be pretty sharp; some of them come that way from Home Despot....

I know somebody who had a problem with kids bashing mailboxes with
baseball bats. He filled a mailbox with concrete and set it at a
random location on the street. A couple of nights later....

Whap!
Whap!
Whap!
Whap!

and they went off to bother another neighborhood.