Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Terry[_2_] Terry[_2_] is offline

Default Anyone doing any actual metalwork?

On Tue, 24 Mar 2009 21:52:20 -0600, "SteveB"
wrote:

I bought two gates at a yard sale that I'm going to mount in the garden.
Got a great old office chair that needs a little MIG welding to stabilize
the base. I went through a little 1.2 hp Gamefisher motor I got with my
used fishing boat. I'm getting some steel ready to make window awnings, and
getting the sewing machine tuned up.

What's everyone up to? So much damn political talk going on, you can't hear
the jaybirds.

Steve

Hi Steve, I bit the bullet and bought a cheap stick/TIG welder/plasma
cutter and am learning to weld. Well...that may be an exaggeration.
I'm learning to make very bad seams, that's what I'm doing.

Also bought nomex coveralls to wear while welding. Only partly for
fire safety. When I bought a VW bus many years ago, my friend Jeff
gave me a pair of coveralls and insisted that I wear them while
working on the bus. It seems that a pair of dirty coveralls
intimidates the vehicle into thinking that a proper mechanic is
working on it. I'm using the same kind of logic to improve the welds.

It's not working...

Best -- Terry