Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Robert Swinney Robert Swinney is offline

Default Anyone doing any actual metalwork?

"Phil Kangas" wrote in message ...

"SteveB" wrote in message
I bought two gates at a yard sale that I'm going to mount

in the garden.
Got a great old office chair that needs a little MIG

welding to stabilize
the base. I went through a little 1.2 hp Gamefisher motor

I got with my
used fishing boat. I'm getting some steel ready to make

window awnings, and
getting the sewing machine tuned up.

What's everyone up to? So much damn political talk going

on, you can't hear
the jaybirds.

Steve

I've been doing some cylinder sleeve jobs for snowmobile
engines lately.
Does that count?
phil

Lately, I've been putting fine 60 degree points on 1/4 in. carbide threading tools. This done with
the AccuFinish diamond sharpening system by Glendo (US made just across the river from KCMO) With
AccuFinish1200 grit diamond you can get a 60 degree point that is is invisible to the naked eye
looking straight in at the tip. Proof of the pudding done with my Sherline lathe threading
attachment. Various pitches cut on 1/16 in. drill rod turned down to requisite diameter. Ultimate
goal is to make some small taps and dies. I practiced cutting a lot of 0-80s and 00-90s. The
finest Ilve done so far is a 00-350. That is 350 tpi on 0.034 diameter. Don't ask.

Bob Swinney