Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jules[_2_] Jules[_2_] is offline

Default OT Supermarket Trolleys

On Wed, 25 Mar 2009 03:23:59 +0000, Andrew Gabriel wrote:

In article ,
"Arfa Daily" writes:

"Matty F" wrote in message

No he's talking about Supermarket Trolleys like the heading says

Translated to "Shopping Carts" for our US cousins ...

Reminds me the first time I saw "No Strollers" at the escalator
entrance to a US shopping mall, which I took to mean the
tramps/druggies wandering around aimlessly should stay outside.

I've seen stroller used in the UK before, too (by Maclaren, I think it
was, who I believe are a UK company) a couple of years ago. I was told
later that 'stroller' was originally a UK term though, then adopted by the
US, then dropped by the UK in favour of pushchair.

Lots of US terms seem to be like that - if you trace them back, they were
once common UK ones, but fell out of favour in the UK whilst being
retained in the US.

I was also surprised when I moved to the US at how many terms and
pronunciations* which I'd always thought as being "UK only" were in use
here.

* Some of which really grate, though - "nitch" for "niche", "Van Go" for
Van Gogh, "booey" for buoy etc. :-) Don't think I'll ever quite get used
to those...

cheers

Jules