Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
mac davis[_5_] mac davis[_5_] is offline

Default Opinions on Nova DVR XP

On Mon, 23 Mar 2009 21:38:57 -0700, "Bill Noble" wrote:

"snip-------------------------
He was also the one that answered a few questions for me when I was
shopping for
the XP.... Like min. speed of 100 rpm and stuff..
Still seems silly, but I guess it's the magnetic rotor or whatever.. would
be
nice to have a zero or 100 low rpm..

mac

zero isn't all that useful, just turn the power off, but 5 or 10 RPM is
useful - I use that speed a lot to dry lacquer. But, with a direct drive
system,that means the motor needs to turn at that speed, and that poses some
challenges.

There are a couple of advantages to a belt drive - one is that the motor can
turn faster than the spindle, so you can get torque multiplication, and
another is that you get vibration isolation from the motor - not much of an
issue with a decent motor for wood turning

Yeah, that was sort of what he said, Bill...
The low speed of 100 rpm is fine, but you always want more than you get, right?
Also, the more I read about HOW the motor works in this thing, the more I'm
impressed.. No windings? Weird!

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing