Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Bill Noble[_2_] Bill Noble[_2_] is offline

Default Opinions on Nova DVR XP

"snip-------------------------
He was also the one that answered a few questions for me when I was
shopping for
the XP.... Like min. speed of 100 rpm and stuff..
Still seems silly, but I guess it's the magnetic rotor or whatever.. would
be
nice to have a zero or 100 low rpm..

mac

zero isn't all that useful, just turn the power off, but 5 or 10 RPM is
useful - I use that speed a lot to dry lacquer. But, with a direct drive
system,that means the motor needs to turn at that speed, and that poses some
challenges.

There are a couple of advantages to a belt drive - one is that the motor can
turn faster than the spindle, so you can get torque multiplication, and
another is that you get vibration isolation from the motor - not much of an
issue with a decent motor for wood turning