Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] phildcrow@gmail.com is offline

Default Help with gravel on clay driveway

Reading this thread, these are some things that have occured to me.
I'm not an expert on soil conditions in Virginia, but my job is in
road construction. So here goes:

1. The principal trouble is that there's no barrier between the
driveway and the sub-base. This allows mud to migrate into the
driveway aggregate and vice versa. A layer of geotextile fabric is
the best, most effective and least expensive way to provide that
barrier. Were it me, I'd look at woven versus non-woven fabric, but
that's entirely up to you. Expect to pay between 50 cents and a buck
per square yard of driveway surface, and the fabric comes in rolls
with widths of 12.5', 15' and 17.5'. You will have considerable
waste.

2. The aggregate for you driveway is, as another poster mentioned,
not the best for a road base. Round rocks roll against one another--
hey, that was alliteration! Anyway, if you're stuck with what you've
got, you need to amend the road base with some well-graded material,
i.e., some stuff with lots of different particle sizes. Around here,
#610 limestone with fines is the standard, but if you plan to reuse
what you have, I'd maybe try some #411 or something similar. The idea
is to have as few voids as possible between as widely varied particle
sizes as possible. A much less expensive, but less stable alternative
is to use sand/clay fill.

3. Your driveway or the soil under or next to it is holding water.
Take your pick on how to alleviate that problem.

Having said all that, here's what I think I would do, keeping budget
as the primary constraint: Dig up the existing drive and save the
rock. Pile it along side, whatever. Put down your fabric. Spread
the rock back out over the fabric, then put a thin layer (just an inch
or two) of sand atop the rock. Wash the sand into the rock with a
sprinkler (or let it rain or let it work its way in naturally) and
then do it again. And again, if needed. Since you only have 2 or 3
inches of gravel, probably twice is going to do it. This will provide
a reasonably stable matrix that will not leave ponds in ruts that
develop (which can be fixed easily by filling with gravel/sand mix)
and the geotex will keep migration to a minimum.

More expensive alternatives are a sand layer under the fabric, and
crushed limestone of varying grades in place of the sand washed into
the gravel.

Holy crap, that was long-winded. If you have more, or more specific
questions, I check in here a couple times a week, or you can email me
directly. I hope this helps you out.

Phil