Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Bosch Axxess washer 230 volt supply plug

"hamish" wrote in message
On Mar 22, 2:15 pm, wrote:
On Mar 22, 1:40 pm, "HeyBub" wrote:

wrote:

He said he wanted to run the washer off the dryer outlet. That would
sure seem to me to imply that he has an electric dryer. Gas dryers
are generally 120V, as are washers. Given that the dryer is 230V, it
sure sounds to me like it's an electric.

He said he has a dryer OUTLET, not that he has an electric dryer. Homes
are
often built with both gas and electric provisions for the dryer (the
builder
doesn't know which the ultimate homeowner wants).

In my home, I have a gas dryer and an unused 220V outlet right next to
it.

Interesting. Around here (NJ) in every case I've seen, builders give
you one or the other. Which kind of makes sense, as it's extra cost
to them to run both gas and electric for a dryer.

First to clarify the situation, and thanks for all the advise given,
we have a new dryer and washer and have a 230 dryer socket which was
in use with the previous dryer. The new washer is plugged with a
special plug which is 250 volts 15 amps. the washer draws 12 amps at
maximum. In looking into the situation more fully, and removing the
dryer electric socket and box I can add a connection to the socket up
to a new two pole 230 volt fused switch (15 amp) ncr and then feed a
new outlet with the socket for the special plug on the washer. Cable
will be 12/2 with ground. At 12 amps load and overload and short
circuit interruption capacity at 15 amps ncr I think this should
protect the washer, and the dryer. The dryer is protected by 40 amp
breaker. Any comments, thanks for your interest and suggestions

*I can't say what is there now, but in many cases the existing 120 volt
laundry receptacle is a dedicated 20 amp circuit. It could easily be
converted to a 220 volt circuit by changing the receptacle and adding a two
pole circuit breaker at the source.