Posted to alt.home.repair
miamicuse miamicuse is offline

Default Recessed lights in kitchen centered on the stove

"John Grabowski" wrote in message
By the way down here the Expo Design Center (Home Depot's high end
stores) are closing and everything is 50% off.

I was there today and came across a return item, two boxes of trims
for the 6" housings. Those are Halo 30WAT, and each box has 18 of
them each one was marked down to $10.00 and 50% off that. So I got
all 28 of those trims. However I did not notice that some of them are
different, turns out I ended up with 11 of 30WAT and 17 of the
30WATH. They look the same except the 30WAT (62400 60332) the upper
inside part of the cone is white, anf the 30WATH (62400 68832) the
upper inside part of the cone is silver.

I took your advice and used H7T housing for most of my down lighting
and it seems the 30WAT(H) will work, according to Halo's website I
can use 100W A19 if I wanted to but I probably will use 75W instead.

I wonder if I can tell the difference between 30WAT and 30WATH down
from below after the bulbs are inserted.

MC

That is an airtite trim. You remove the guts of the frame, leaving the
ceramic socket which clips into the end of the trim, with a gasket,
keeping it air tight. Be careful when installing them, the spring
wires that hold the trim into the frame, can be a bit tricky, and the
rim of the trim bends very easily

RBM what do you mean by removing the guts of the frame? You mean it
does not install by pushing it into the housing like the other trims?

Thanks,

MC

Correct, that trim has a hole at the narrow end, and the socket mounts
directly to it. Currently, the socket is mounted on a flat plate inside
the can. You remove the wing nut on the side of the can that holds that
plate, pull it down, out of the can, and pinch the two spring steel
retainers on the socket to remove it from the plate. Discard the plate
and mount the socket to the trim.

Oh I see, and by doing that, I lose the adjustable aspect of the H7T
socket. I didn't think of that. Actually now that I look closer at it, I
think it would be very difficult to mount this trim to the housing could
be very tricky. May be I should have gotten the 410W instead even if
this one is heavily discounted.

*If you want to save some money and like the 410 trim, Halo has a
substitute made for contractors. They cost around 2 bucks for the H7
size. However they are only available at electrical supply companies.
Part #Halo ERT709WHT. For the H99 you can try the ERT413WHT

John:

I did not know that there is a contractor version of these. Is there a
substantial difference between the contractor version and consumer version?

I just can't believe how expensive these trims are. Is there a similar
thing for Juno? I am looking for trim 435B-WH that does not cost part of my
legs LOL.

Thanks,

MC