Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] storybookmurals@gmail.com is offline

Default how do you install a door in a sheetrock wall with no studs?

On Mar 21, 11:55*am, Tony Hwang wrote:
wrote:
first let me say that my apartment was built by polish carpenters, who
have a strange appraoch to building. we have a doorway leading to the
master bedroom we need to add a door to. the doorway is studless, and
is simply cut out of the sheetrock, there might be a few metal studs
somewhere in the wall, but no where close to the door. how do i
install this door? do i just build a frame inside the opening and
attach it to the sheetrock somehow?

Hi,
Don't degrade Polish folks. They are hard working and reliable.
I think you are trying to cut the corners. install more studs upto
door way and build frame, then hang the door.

listen folks, im not degrading polish folk, but simply commenting that
the ones that built my apartment and all the ones in my hood were
clearly raised with a different school of thought when it comes to
building. its kind of ingenious in its strange approach and structural
integrity, but maddening when you need to take something apart and
make modifications. damn.