Posted to alt.home.repair

Default how do you install a door in a sheetrock wall with no studs?

first let me say that my apartment was built by polish carpenters, who
have a strange appraoch to building. we have a doorway leading to the
master bedroom we need to add a door to. the doorway is studless, and
is simply cut out of the sheetrock, there might be a few metal studs
somewhere in the wall, but no where close to the door. how do i
install this door? do i just build a frame inside the opening and
attach it to the sheetrock somehow?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 19, 8:31*am, "
wrote:
first let me say that my apartment was built by polish carpenters, who
have a strange appraoch to building. we have a doorway leading to the
master bedroom we need to add a door to. the doorway is studless, and
is simply cut out of the sheetrock, there might be a few metal studs
somewhere in the wall, but no where close to the door. how do i
install this door? do i just build a frame inside the opening and
attach it to the sheetrock somehow?

If you are going to build a doorway you will need to build the
framework to support the door. The attachment though needs to be to
both the floor and to the cieling and not just the sheetrock. It will
need to be cross braced at the top of the door to keep the opening
square.
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

BobR wrote:
On Mar 19, 8:31 am, "
wrote:
first let me say that my apartment was built by polish carpenters, who
have a strange appraoch to building. we have a doorway leading to the
master bedroom we need to add a door to. the doorway is studless, and
is simply cut out of the sheetrock, there might be a few metal studs
somewhere in the wall, but no where close to the door. how do i
install this door? do i just build a frame inside the opening and
attach it to the sheetrock somehow?

If you are going to build a doorway you will need to build the
framework to support the door. The attachment though needs to be to
both the floor and to the cieling and not just the sheetrock. It will
need to be cross braced at the top of the door to keep the opening
square.

If a double stud is solidly attached at the ceiling and floor, it'll be
hard for it to go anywhere w/o the whole house shifting...

But, that's the only answer. The easiest/fastest/bestest way to do this
would be to simply cut the existing sheetrock back to the previous stud
(middle of it or add a double for nailing surface), frame the door
conventionally then repair the wall.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 19, 10:31*am, "
wrote:
first let me say that my apartment was built by polish carpenters, who
have a strange approach to building. we have a doorway leading to the
master bedroom we need to add a door to. the doorway is studless, and
is simply cut out of the sheetrock, there might be a few metal studs
somewhere in the wall, but no where close to the door. how do i
install this door? do i just build a frame inside the opening and
attach it to the sheetrock somehow?

Not a lot of detail to go on ..................................
I, having built several houses and having various tools which could
size lumber, would give it a try; by cutting out the doorway and
fitting a wooden frame within the wall of two by four* etc. into which
one would then install a door box and hang door.
You best choice might be to install the wooden frame to suit a pre-
hung door and door box. You will also need door trim etc. both sides.
We gather????? that here is already an opening. It may be off an odd
(non stanadrd door) size however?
But if it's metal studs within a continuos wall** you may have to cut
a least one (or perhaps two) of them depending on whether they are on
16 or 24 inch centres. Hopefully however a standard door unit might
fit in the space or fit with minor modification?
Overall however you are there, you know your own level of skill and
competency, the availaibility and your knowledge of tools etc. but
would add since you have to ask it may be better for you to get a
carpenter/contractor to the work.
It is sometimes noticable that people who have to ask basic questions
often underestimate, through lack of knowledge, just how much work is
involved*** in a seemingly simple job.
Professionals and/or competent people just 'make' it look easy!
The nationality of any skilled tradesman will be immaterial, so long
as you can communicate what you want done and a fair price for all the
work functions involved.
I would also comment that Polish (Like English) does use some
'capital' letters.
Notes:
* The wall may not be a conventional size of lumber in thickness?
Although some steel studding is sort 2 by 4, or the metric
equivalent.
** Metal studs may be required for fire resistant construction within
the building? Deviating from that might contravene regulations/
insurance?
*** Are there any electrical (telephone) wires within the wall????? If
so will they need rerouting perhaps up and over the doorway; in an
approved and safe manner according to electrical code? If doorway
already there, ignore this.
*** there is presumably no plumbing within that wall at all? Also
ignore?
Any permits or permission from building owner required?
If you not apartment or condo owner will you be required to 'restore'
as-is at end of lease?
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message

first let me say that my apartment was built by polish carpenters, who
have a strange appraoch to building. we have a doorway leading to the
master bedroom we need to add a door to. the doorway is studless, and
is simply cut out of the sheetrock, there might be a few metal studs
somewhere in the wall, but no where close to the door. how do i
install this door? do i just build a frame inside the opening and
attach it to the sheetrock somehow?

It is easiest to buy a door complete with door frame (also strong
enough to hold up the wall above the door), cut through as much
space as you need to fix the frame securely, then cover up the
edges (which may be shimmed etc.) with trim moulding. But you
need some way of securing the frame to the house structure
at both sides.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 19 Mar 2009 06:31:56 -0700, wrote:

first let me say that my apartment was built by polish carpenters, who
have a strange appraoch to building. we have a doorway leading to the
master bedroom we need to add a door to. the doorway is studless, and is
simply cut out of the sheetrock, there might be a few metal studs
somewhere in the wall, but no where close to the door. how do i install
this door? do i just build a frame inside the opening and attach it to
the sheetrock somehow?

Apartment??
Are you the owner of the Property?

Trust me, get hanging beads, or an old bed sheet to cover the interior
doorway. You don't want to get involved with doing repairs to an
apartment. Landlord could force you out because you did unauthorized
changes, and he does not have to pay you for the labor or materials. But
later rents the place for extra money since the repairs were done.

I don't know where you live, but there are a few places, like Chicago
from an old home improvement show, where apartments must have metal stud
for some obscure fire code reason. Don't mess with walls without the
property owner's approval. There may be some city or county rental
inspector office that maybe should be advised that you have an interior
door-way without a privacy door (barrier?), just cut sheet-rock. That
may not be permitted (legal?) by building code.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 19, 10:05*am, dpb wrote:
BobR wrote:
On Mar 19, 8:31 am, "
wrote:
[...]

Yes I would have agreed completely until I move into my current home.
Now, I am not so sure. Actually, the whole dang house does shift
significantly from winter to summer. The doors won't stay shut in the
winter and you can't close them in the summer. That's what I get for
buying in the spring between shifts.

But, that's the only answer. *The easiest/fastest/bestest way to do this
would be to simply cut the existing sheetrock back to the previous stud
(middle of it or add a double for nailing surface), frame the door
conventionally then repair the wall.

That would have been my first thought but then I don't know exactly
what the requestor is up against and that could be a few inches or a
few feet.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

BobR wrote:
That would have been my first thought but then I don't know exactly
what the requestor is up against and that could be a few inches or a
few feet.

Doesn't really matter -- a joint to repair is a joint wherever it is.
(Realistically, can't be more than 2' even if on 24" centers, odds are
they're 16").

Granted, it _could_ possibly be something really bizarre of somebody
blocking off an area and simply laid a sheet in there, but...gotta' play
the odds.

Posted to alt.home.repair

" wrote in
:

first let me say that my apartment was built by polish carpenters, who
have a strange appraoch to building. we have a doorway leading to the
master bedroom we need to add a door to. the doorway is studless, and
is simply cut out of the sheetrock, there might be a few metal studs
somewhere in the wall, but no where close to the door. how do i
install this door? do i just build a frame inside the opening and
attach it to the sheetrock somehow?

No comment. I'm half Polish.

You imply ALL Polish carpenters "have a strange appraoch to building".
Correction: not imply, you actually stated it. This generalizaation is as
stupid as all people that use gmail.com are assholes when, in fact, it is
known that only gmail.com users with a stupid ****ing pansy-ass ID like
storybookmurals are assholes.

Being in an apartment, it is not yours. Assume the owner has blessed your
task.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Red Green wrote:

" wrote in
:

first let me say that my apartment was built by polish carpenters, who
have a strange appraoch to building. we have a doorway leading to the
master bedroom we need to add a door to. the doorway is studless, and
is simply cut out of the sheetrock, there might be a few metal studs
somewhere in the wall, but no where close to the door. how do i
install this door? do i just build a frame inside the opening and
attach it to the sheetrock somehow?

No comment. I'm half Polish.

Is that why you couldn't figure out that the post was a troll, Red?

You imply ALL Polish carpenters "have a strange appraoch to building".
Correction: not imply, you actually stated it. This generalizaation is as
stupid as all people that use gmail.com are assholes when, in fact, it is
known that only gmail.com users with a stupid ****ing pansy-ass ID like
storybookmurals are assholes.

Being in an apartment, it is not yours. Assume the owner has blessed your
task.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Smitty Two wrote in
news
In article ,
Red Green wrote:

" wrote in

:

[...]

Well Smitty what do you expect? It's a country where all shoes have TGIF
stamped in them. That way we know Toes Go In First.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 19, 3:48*pm, dpb wrote:
BobR wrote:

That would have been my first thought but then I don't know exactly
what the requestor is up against and that could be a few inches or a
few feet.

Doesn't really matter -- a joint to repair is a joint wherever it is.
(Realistically, can't be more than 2' even if on 24" centers, odds are
they're 16").

Granted, it _could_ possibly be something really bizarre of somebody
blocking off an area and simply laid a sheet in there, but...gotta' play
the odds.

--

thank you for your responses. to clarify, this is a railroad apartment
that i am renting out the master bedroom, subletting, and need a real
door, not a beaded curtain. the doorwaty exists, but may or may not
contain any studs in the doorway or the entire wall. i understand the
landlord might approve, but they do not live here, and are friends of
the family. i am a carpenter, but build sets for film and television,
and i feel like some of the fake houses i have built are more
structurally sound than my own. redoing the closet was a nightmare,
since everything was built bracing off the thing built before it, like
there was no plans at all, just freeform building. weird. anyways,
there are metal studs on either side of the doorway, and across the
top. it is 32.5"wide. is there a way to attach the door box frame to
the metal studs, or do i really just have to rip the sheetrock up to
the ceiling and build a real wooden frame in there? i suppose thats
not too bad, and easily repaired with sheetrock or plywood. or might
it be possible to build the door box on one side of the door (door
with box sticking out and not flush with wall)?i am unemployed these
days and dont have much money for a carpenter, so i want to handle
this project on my own if possible. thanks guys
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 21, 10:57*am, "
wrote:
On Mar 19, 3:48*pm, dpb wrote:

BobR wrote:

[...]

or, since the door will rarely if ever be used, couldd i just build a
box frame inside the doorway and just liquid nails it to the
sheetrock?

and as for my polish comments, i live in a huge very old polish
neighborhood, and the carpenters who built all these houses are a
little wacky, i am sure u are a decent human being. and all people who
have gmail account rre assholes, thats just a fact. but i have
electric sockets at five feet off the ground in the middle of my
walls, light switches that are upside down, some of the weirdest
crooked walls i have ever seen, and thats just the start....its a
recession and we need to rent this room out, so this door is
essential. ....
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 21, 11:15*am, dpb wrote:
wrote:

... or, since the door will rarely if *ever be used, couldd i just build a
box frame inside the doorway and just liquid nails it to the
sheetrock?

I thought you said you were a carpenter??? *

As for the reference to the polish and workmanship, from these comments
methinks the reference should be to the mirror...

Nothing solid can have only sheetrock as a structural member and last
any time at all--the rock will break.

As for the metal studs, I can't tell from here what they're fastened to
nor so no way to tell whether there's sufficient structure there to hang
a door onto or not...

I've told you what I would (likely) do; actually seeing the situation
could change that of course.

--

cool, thanks. i am only a fake carpenter- building sets and flats is a
totally different science
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 21, 11:55*am, Tony Hwang wrote:
wrote:
first let me say that my apartment was built by polish carpenters, who
have a strange appraoch to building. we have a doorway leading to the
master bedroom we need to add a door to. the doorway is studless, and
is simply cut out of the sheetrock, there might be a few metal studs
somewhere in the wall, but no where close to the door. how do i
install this door? do i just build a frame inside the opening and
attach it to the sheetrock somehow?

Hi,
Don't degrade Polish folks. They are hard working and reliable.
I think you are trying to cut the corners. install more studs upto
door way and build frame, then hang the door.

listen folks, im not degrading polish folk, but simply commenting that
the ones that built my apartment and all the ones in my hood were
clearly raised with a different school of thought when it comes to
building. its kind of ingenious in its strange approach and structural
integrity, but maddening when you need to take something apart and
make modifications. damn.
Posted to alt.home.repair

This has **** all to do with his nationality mate! You could have had same results of a scaly from England.

--
For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ds-364707-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/18/21 2:30 PM, Simone wrote:
This has **** all to do with his nationality mate! You could have had
same results of a scaly from England.

This HomemoanersHub post is 11 years old, and the OP never came back to
say how he fixed the issue.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Thu, 18 Feb 2021 15:10:14 -0500,
wrote:

On 2/18/21 2:30 PM, Simone wrote:
This has **** all to do with his nationality mate! You could have had
same results of a scaly from England.

This HomemoanersHub post is 11 years old, and the OP never came back to
say how he fixed the issue.

Yeah, but it's so scaly.