Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] storybookmurals@gmail.com is offline

Default how do you install a door in a sheetrock wall with no studs?

On Mar 21, 10:57*am, "
wrote:
On Mar 19, 3:48*pm, dpb wrote:

BobR wrote:

That would have been my first thought but then I don't know exactly
what the requestor is up against and that could be a few inches or a
few feet.

Doesn't really matter -- a joint to repair is a joint wherever it is.
(Realistically, can't be more than 2' even if on 24" centers, odds are
they're 16").

Granted, it _could_ possibly be something really bizarre of somebody
blocking off an area and simply laid a sheet in there, but...gotta' play
the odds.

--

thank you for your responses. to clarify, this is a railroad apartment
that i am renting out the master bedroom, subletting, and need a real
door, not a beaded curtain. the doorwaty exists, but may or may not
contain any studs in the doorway or the entire wall. i understand the
landlord might approve, but they do not live here, and are friends of
the family. i am a carpenter, but build sets for film and television,
and i feel like some of the fake houses i have built are more
structurally sound than my own. redoing the closet was a nightmare,
since everything was built bracing off the thing built before it, like
there was no plans at all, just freeform building. weird. anyways,
there are metal studs on either side of the doorway, and across the
top. it is 32.5"wide. is there a way to attach the door box frame to
the metal studs, or do i really just have to rip the sheetrock up to
the ceiling and build a real wooden frame in there? i suppose thats
not too bad, and easily repaired with sheetrock or plywood. or might
it be possible to build the door box on one side of the door (door
with box sticking out and not flush with wall)?i am unemployed these
days and dont have much money for a carpenter, so i want to handle
this project on my own if possible. thanks guys

or, since the door will rarely if ever be used, couldd i just build a
box frame inside the doorway and just liquid nails it to the
sheetrock?

and as for my polish comments, i live in a huge very old polish
neighborhood, and the carpenters who built all these houses are a
little wacky, i am sure u are a decent human being. and all people who
have gmail account rre assholes, thats just a fact. but i have
electric sockets at five feet off the ground in the middle of my
walls, light switches that are upside down, some of the weirdest
crooked walls i have ever seen, and thats just the start....its a
recession and we need to rent this room out, so this door is
essential. ....