Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] nospam@aol.com is offline

Default Help with gravel on clay driveway

Thanks for your reply - I will do my best to answer your questions below.

On Fri, 20 Mar 2009 14:43:43 -0400, "EXT"

We have a long gravel on clay driveway that is about 2 years old. It
has done fairly well until recently when we had a lot of rain & snow.
The gravel just got pushed down in the the gel/slime/whatever and the
driveway got in bad shape in a hurry. This residential driveway has
more traffic than a normal residential driveway but it is limited to
about 10-15 cars a day and normal a normal residential delivery truck
(USPS, UPS, FEDEX) 2 or so times a week.

I would appreciate any help with how to improve the driveway so we
won't have to frequently re-gravel it and then have it go bad in the
next long spell of wet weather.

Thanks for any help. (Is there a better place I could ask this
question?)

There is a lot of information that you do not supply. Was the clay base
compacted,

No - except by construction trucks & modular carriers during construction.
how thick is the gravel topping,

Not more than 3" originally, now zero in some places.
what type and size(s) of gravel used, was the gravel crushed gravel or round river gravel,

The gravel ranges 3/4" to 1 1/2 inch. It is rounded brown river gravel.
was the first layer of gravel a large size and then covered with finer gravel,

No
do you have deep frost in your area, do you have snow and/or lots of rain.

We are southeastern coastal Virginia, once every few years we have a heavy
snow. About half the winters have no snow. All time low is 0F, ground
almost never freezes as deep as 1 foot. We have extended periods of
drought and lengthy periods of a lot of rain. Our road really deteriorated
after a recent snow, we'vd had lots of rain too.

Thanks again

That is what I can think of for now.