Posted to alt.home.repair
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default Help with gravel on clay driveway

Phisherman wrote:
On Fri, 20 Mar 2009 14:21:47 -0400, wrote:

We have a long gravel on clay driveway that is about 2 years old. It has
done fairly well until recently when we had a lot of rain & snow. The
gravel just got pushed down in the the gel/slime/whatever and the driveway
got in bad shape in a hurry. This residential driveway has more traffic
than a normal residential driveway but it is limited to about 10-15 cars a
day and normal a normal residential delivery truck (USPS, UPS, FEDEX) 2 or
so times a week.

I would appreciate any help with how to improve the driveway so we won't
have to frequently re-gravel it and then have it go bad in the next long
spell of wet weather.

Thanks for any help. (Is there a better place I could ask this question?)

That is a lot of traffic for a gravel driveway. Consider asphalt, or
even better, concrete.

Down south, they till in cement powder before they gravel- called out on
plot plans as 'soil-cement'. Not sure how you would do that on an
existing drive- maybe sprinkle it on with a lawn spreader, than go back
and forth over it with a box scraper? TOH landscape guy addressed it a
few times- the right mix of gravel sizes locks together with traffic or
rolling, and almost becomes like pavement. Beleive it was all unwashed
gravel, so maybe the stone dust acts like the cement they use down south
with the shell gravel.

No, I'm not a paving expert- why do you ask?

--
aem sends...