Andy Dingley

Default Anyone _not_ like routers?

On Sat, 18 Oct 2003 01:07:02 -0400, Silvan
wrote:

Many of you just seem to absolutely *love* these things.

I love mine. Spends most of its time in the table.

These
http://www.livejournal.com/users/que...10.html#cutid1
are just three layers of stacked MDF, bandsawn to a profile and then
run over a chamfer bit. Easy to do, and most of all - quick !

I just cut my first dovetails today.

Congratulations. I don't use a router for mine, I hand cut them.

The dovetail isn't the appropriate joint for most purposes. It's slow
to cut (biscuits are quickest), not as strong as a finger joint with
modern adhesives, and awkward to assemble. However they're still the
signature joint for quality work, and they'll hold together in 100
years, after hide glue has failed.

So if you're going to do dovetails, do good ones ! Get the
proprotions to be attractive, and that still means hand-cutting them.