Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Elliot G Elliot G is offline

Default Bell Ringing Mechanism

"Bob AZ" wrote in message
We need a Bell Ringing Mechanism for our church. The bell is about 16"
tall and about 16" in diameter. It has a clapper with a hole in the
bottom that was formerly activated by a simple mechanism that
frequently failed. The mechanism pulled a rope attached to the
clapper.

We do prefer an electrically operated mechanism that we will simply
switch on and off for the duration of the ringing.

So any ideas?

Thanks
Bob AZ

Use a gear motor with a cam to quickly pull and release the rope (or cable).
Select rpm of cam to suit frequency of chimes. A cam speed of 20 rpm would
yield a chime every 3 seconds.

A heavy duty spring in the rope or cable might be necessary to allow the
clapper to bounce, making the exact length of the rope or cable less
critical.