Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Ted Ted is offline

Default Opinions on Nova DVR XP

I owned a DVR for about 5 years. Great lathe. The headstock is well
built and, without any load, it did not vibrate. But I did get some
vibration from the DVR lathe at certain speeds and certain
situations. This was more a problem with the stand that I used and
not the headstock (I used the sheet metal stand made by Nova). I also
had trouble with any piece of wood that was large and/or the least bit
out of round. That is because the machine was not heavy enough for
what I was trying to turn.

I now own a Oneway 2436. I has a belt drive and again, when spinning
without a load there is absolutely no vibraton. It is 900 pounds as
opposed to the DVR's 200 lb. Even though I don't get anywhere near
the vibration problems with the Oneway, with large and/or out of round
logs the fact is vibrations can still be a problem - even with a 900
lb gorilla.

With any lathe their seems to be some RPM's that you will get a
vibration depending on the load and situation. The point is that your
problem is likely more about what you are turning and not a problem
with the DVR.

Ted J.