Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Duncan Hoyle Duncan Hoyle is offline

Default Opinions on Nova DVR XP

mac davis wrote:
On Thu, 19 Mar 2009 13:25:01 -0400, Q47m wrote:

I have owned a couple belt drive lathes, one reeves drive and one
variable drive. As they get more use vibration has been a problem.
I have replaced the belts.

So my question, is the Nova DVD really vibration free and is the
motor/computer reliable?

Thanks to all that respond.

L Bledsoe

I've had an original DVR and I really like it but there are a few things
to note -

- the computer control is ok but it it's annoying to have to sit there
holding the speed up/down buttons to go from one end of the range to the
other (eg when going from drilling or sanding at low speed to turning at
much higher speeds). I understand that the DVR XP allows you to program
5 preset speeds though, so this won't be as much of a problem.
I'd prefer it if the control panel had a large, raised stop button in
case of emergencies.

- if something goes wrong with the headstock it's possibly going to be
something you can't fix yourself. I've had to send my headstock away for
repair once before and I'm again getting an error state message on the
console (which you should be able to fix by getting rid of dust around
the spindle speed sensor, but I tried that yesterday and it didn't fix it).

One good feature of the lathe is that if you open up the control panel
you can fit a home-made break out box which gives you access to all the
controls when eg. the headstock is rotated or when you're hollowing a
large vessel and you don't want to have to reach round for the controls.
I've heard that Teknatool are working on their own (wireless?) remote
but have heard nothing from them about this in the last year.

As for vibration - I've never really used any other lathe so I can't say
if it's more or less than normal. There are a couple of locations in the
speed range where there's some vibration even with the lathe running
without a load, but 5 or 10 rpm either side it's fine.

We have an original DVR for our club lathe at it always performs well.

If you're not aware - there's a yahoo group at
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/teknatool/ and a my family group (I think
you need an invite for this, but just ask if you want one).

Hope that helps

Duncan

--
www.duncanhoyle.com