Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Lead burning/tack welding torch - boiler flue through lead roof

In article ,
Tim S wrote:
I had a small split on one corner of a lead cover over some pipe
ducting which was easily accessible (being on a roof terrace) so
decided to have a go and got good results using ordinary elctronics
leaded multicore and a small 'jewellers' butane blowlamp. I practised
on some scrap first. Lead isn't that good a conductor of heat. But
you'd need a still day for this to work easily.

Hi Dave

That's interesting... That would mean that soft soldering (aka the way
lead pipes were joined) would also work. For this application, I think a
few tacks of soft solder would be more than sufficient.

Now I'm going to walk to the plumber's merchant and ask for a stick of
plumber's metal, tallow and a moleskin just to see their reaction ;-

My local TP stocks all of these. But you don't need tallow or moleskin for
the sort of thing you're doing. They're needed to wipe a neat finish on a
joint.

--

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.