Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
robo hippy robo hippy is offline

Default Opinions on Nova DVR XP

The vibration can come from a lot of different things. Personally, I
wouldn't have a reeves drive. They always seem to go out or whack. I
have a little experience on a DC motor which is variable speed, and a
lot of esperience on the 3 phase variable speed lathes (8 years on a
PM 3520A and a year on a Robust). I will get to turn on a Nova DVR
next month at our local club meeting. By all accounts I have read, it
is a fine lathe. There is only one thing I don't like about it from
seeing it, and that is the bed sits almost flat on the lathe stand.
There is no room to scoop out shavings that fall inbetween the ways. I
do prefer a sliding headstock to a pivoting one though. Just more
sturdy. I don't think that the belt is usually a contributer to the
vibrations. Usually, sticking out too far, turning too fast with an
unblanced piece of wood, a flimsy, light weight lathe stand, and worn
bearings are the main culprits.
robo hippy

Gerald Ross wrote:
Q47m wrote:
I have owned a couple belt drive lathes, one reeves drive and one
variable drive. As they get more use vibration has been a problem.
I have replaced the belts.

So my question, is the Nova DVD really vibration free and is the
motor/computer reliable?

Thanks to all that respond.

L Bledsoe

I have had mine 2 or 3 years. I has been a world of difference from
the reeves drive machine I had. Quiet, vibration free, true variable
speed. Never any problem. I did wire in a remote stop button.

--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

Tis better to light a flame thrower