Posted to alt.home.repair
Phil Again Phil Again is offline

Default how do you install a door in a sheetrock wall with no studs?

On Thu, 19 Mar 2009 06:31:56 -0700, wrote:

first let me say that my apartment was built by polish carpenters, who
have a strange appraoch to building. we have a doorway leading to the
master bedroom we need to add a door to. the doorway is studless, and is
simply cut out of the sheetrock, there might be a few metal studs
somewhere in the wall, but no where close to the door. how do i install
this door? do i just build a frame inside the opening and attach it to
the sheetrock somehow?

Apartment??
Are you the owner of the Property?

Trust me, get hanging beads, or an old bed sheet to cover the interior
doorway. You don't want to get involved with doing repairs to an
apartment. Landlord could force you out because you did unauthorized
changes, and he does not have to pay you for the labor or materials. But
later rents the place for extra money since the repairs were done.

I don't know where you live, but there are a few places, like Chicago
from an old home improvement show, where apartments must have metal stud
for some obscure fire code reason. Don't mess with walls without the
property owner's approval. There may be some city or county rental
inspector office that maybe should be advised that you have an interior
door-way without a privacy door (barrier?), just cut sheet-rock. That
may not be permitted (legal?) by building code.