Posted to alt.home.repair
Don Phillipson[_3_] Don Phillipson[_3_] is offline

Default how do you install a door in a sheetrock wall with no studs?

wrote in message

first let me say that my apartment was built by polish carpenters, who
have a strange appraoch to building. we have a doorway leading to the
master bedroom we need to add a door to. the doorway is studless, and
is simply cut out of the sheetrock, there might be a few metal studs
somewhere in the wall, but no where close to the door. how do i
install this door? do i just build a frame inside the opening and
attach it to the sheetrock somehow?

It is easiest to buy a door complete with door frame (also strong
enough to hold up the wall above the door), cut through as much
space as you need to fix the frame securely, then cover up the
edges (which may be shimmed etc.) with trim moulding. But you
need some way of securing the frame to the house structure
at both sides.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs