Posted to alt.home.repair
stan stan is offline

Default how do you install a door in a sheetrock wall with no studs?

On Mar 19, 10:31*am, "
wrote:
first let me say that my apartment was built by polish carpenters, who
have a strange approach to building. we have a doorway leading to the
master bedroom we need to add a door to. the doorway is studless, and
is simply cut out of the sheetrock, there might be a few metal studs
somewhere in the wall, but no where close to the door. how do i
install this door? do i just build a frame inside the opening and
attach it to the sheetrock somehow?

Not a lot of detail to go on ..................................
I, having built several houses and having various tools which could
size lumber, would give it a try; by cutting out the doorway and
fitting a wooden frame within the wall of two by four* etc. into which
one would then install a door box and hang door.
You best choice might be to install the wooden frame to suit a pre-
hung door and door box. You will also need door trim etc. both sides.
We gather????? that here is already an opening. It may be off an odd
(non stanadrd door) size however?
But if it's metal studs within a continuos wall** you may have to cut
a least one (or perhaps two) of them depending on whether they are on
16 or 24 inch centres. Hopefully however a standard door unit might
fit in the space or fit with minor modification?
Overall however you are there, you know your own level of skill and
competency, the availaibility and your knowledge of tools etc. but
would add since you have to ask it may be better for you to get a
carpenter/contractor to the work.
It is sometimes noticable that people who have to ask basic questions
often underestimate, through lack of knowledge, just how much work is
involved*** in a seemingly simple job.
Professionals and/or competent people just 'make' it look easy!
The nationality of any skilled tradesman will be immaterial, so long
as you can communicate what you want done and a fair price for all the
work functions involved.
I would also comment that Polish (Like English) does use some
'capital' letters.
Notes:
* The wall may not be a conventional size of lumber in thickness?
Although some steel studding is sort 2 by 4, or the metric
equivalent.
** Metal studs may be required for fire resistant construction within
the building? Deviating from that might contravene regulations/
insurance?
*** Are there any electrical (telephone) wires within the wall????? If
so will they need rerouting perhaps up and over the doorway; in an
approved and safe manner according to electrical code? If doorway
already there, ignore this.
*** there is presumably no plumbing within that wall at all? Also
ignore?
Any permits or permission from building owner required?
If you not apartment or condo owner will you be required to 'restore'
as-is at end of lease?