Posted to alt.home.repair
BobR BobR is offline

Default how do you install a door in a sheetrock wall with no studs?

On Mar 19, 8:31*am, "
wrote:
first let me say that my apartment was built by polish carpenters, who
have a strange appraoch to building. we have a doorway leading to the
master bedroom we need to add a door to. the doorway is studless, and
is simply cut out of the sheetrock, there might be a few metal studs
somewhere in the wall, but no where close to the door. how do i
install this door? do i just build a frame inside the opening and
attach it to the sheetrock somehow?

If you are going to build a doorway you will need to build the
framework to support the door. The attachment though needs to be to
both the floor and to the cieling and not just the sheetrock. It will
need to be cross braced at the top of the door to keep the opening
square.