Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Bob Crawford Bob Crawford is offline

Default About dyeing...

So I decided to try my hand at dyeing. Bought some 8 oz bottles of red and
black Artisan (aniline) Dyes (alcohol based).

FIRST thing I learned, they work much better (easier?) diluted. Second
thing I've learned is that the finish has to be as near to flawless as you
can get it. Any tears will soak up the dye and show like a sore thumb.

The application process is taking some getting used to. First attempt at
black was a minor disaster. Second attempt, using a mixture of red and
black (2 to 1) and thinned by 3x worked out much better.

So, any thoughts/experiences/tips on dyeing? My next adventure is to add
red, thinned out about 8 to 1, to a piece of black walnut I'm about to turn.

Bob Crawford