Posted to rec.woodworking
J. Clarke J. Clarke is offline

Default "treated" wood

Lee Michaels wrote:
"phorbin" wrote in message
In article ,
says...

"Lee Michaels" wrote in message

"Tom Veatch" wrote

I've always found it very simple and easy to design and lay out
the steps on a 2x using the formula "2 x Rise + Run = 26 to 28
inches". Makes for a set of comfortable steps which can be made
to fit most any location and have equal rise and run for each
step.
Yep, that is what the old framers square is for. I wonder if very
many folks these days know how to mark and cut some steps the old
fashioned way? It wasn't long ago that this was a common skill.

Somewhere is a book of yore on the many uses of the framing square.
Mine has
been lost for about 20 years. I'm sure there are reprints available
on the
web, but I've been too limited of access lately to look it up.

Was it in the first book in the Audels Carpenters and Builders Guide?
(4 book set)

Chapter 23 How to Use the Steel Square

My set is a third edition dated 1945 and my wife found it at Attic
Books in London Ontario.

http://www.atticbooks.ca/index.html

Lee Valley has reprinted it.

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...=1,46096,46100
&ap=1

Lee Valley has also extracted the chapter in question and turned it
into a booklet.

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...=1,46096,46100

Ahh......, leave it to Rob Lee to stay a couple steps ahead of us and
provide a valuable reference work. It obviously is an insidious plot
to to extract some hard earned cash from our wallets!!

Amazon also carries one
http://www.amazon.com/Essential-Guid...71405&sr= 8-1.

Note that if you're considering buying a steel square, get it somewhere
where you can look at it first. Most of the ones I'm seeing on the shelves
in stores have the inch markings along the edges but none of the others.
And if you do find one that has the other markings, make sure that they're
clearly stamped.