Phisherman

Default Jointer Safety Help

On Fri, 17 Oct 2003 19:49:06 GMT, "Mark Jerde"
wrote:

I flexed my credit card & bought a 6" jointer, 14" bandsaw, 16.5" drill
press, 650 CFM dust collector & 12.5" planer from a guy getting out of
woodworking. (All Jet except the Delta planer.) IMO the "Jet blue" clashes
violently with the "Grizzly green" of my table saw & sander but I suppose
I'll get used to it. ;-)

I've made a few test cuts with the jointer & it scares me. IDAGS on
"jointer safety" but so far all the hits are pretty generic. "Don't cut too
deep, no nails or loose knots, no hands over the cutter unless you're using
push blocks, ..." Are there some good sites for learning to use the jointer
and still be able to do10-finger typing for the rest of my life?

Thanks.

-- Mark

Just be aware of what you are doing. No leaning. No distractions.
No slippery floors. No drugs. Both feet on clean floor. Keep the
safety guard in place. Keep push blocks conveniently nearby. Don't
rush. It's not a particularly dangerous machine (it doesn't kick
back like a table saw can), but the knives are very sharp with the
machine on or off. When it comes time to change the knives, do so
carefully.