Morgans

Default Jointer Safety Help

"Fly-by-Night CC" wrote in message
news
In article ,
"Mark Jerde" wrote:

Are there some good sites for learning to use the jointer
and still be able to do10-finger typing for the rest of my life?

I don't have any site to recommend, but I'd like to offer up what I
think is one of the most important tips.

Many folks appear to push the wood down against the table & fence
*really hard.* The problem with this is that they have so much body
weight leaning against the jointer that if something goes wrong and the
piece is kicked out or their hand (or pushblock) slips, they have no
where to go but fall onto the jointer.

Right. Also, I teach my students to keep a couple fingers, or part of the
hand over the top of the fence, so if a board does "leave", their weight, or
pressure, will be caught by the fence, without the need to react.
--
Jim in NC