George

Default Jointer Safety Help

Sounds extreme. Also puts him at the mercy of a downsloping off-feed table.
Generally, as soon as there's more than a couple of handwidths on the
outfeed, transfer there, "walking" the board so you keep things pretty well
referenced to the same spot on the table. Control with the right, don't
press.

Stand to the side, toward the rear. Light cuts minimize possibility of
kickback, and, as I tell the kids at school, if it wants to go, LIFT YOUR
HANDS AND LET IT! Never seen kick except when surfacing.

BTW, if you ever want to see something scary, look at a leftie trying to
figure out how to feed!

"Mark Jerde" wrote in message
s.com...

When joining the edge of a 2x4", when do you move your hands to the

outfeed
table? The guy I bought the jointer from moved his about 18" in front of
the cutter & pulled the rest of the way. Given there are two operative
parts of the word "kickback," namely "kick" and "back," the "back" part
wants me to never have my hands in front of the cutter but my supply of
infinite long stock is gone. ;-)

-- Mark