Mark Jerde

Default Jointer Safety Help

Fly-by-Night CC wrote:

Many folks appear to push the wood down against the table & fence
*really hard.* The problem with this is that they have so much body
weight leaning against the jointer that if something goes wrong and
the piece is kicked out or their hand (or pushblock) slips, they have
no where to go but fall onto the jointer.

It really only takes a light, but firm pressure to keep the board in
proper position to flatten or square an edge. If something should
happen, then there's much more likelyhood you'll maintain your balance
and not end up lunging forward - thereby keeping any injury to a
minimum.

When joining the edge of a 2x4", when do you move your hands to the outfeed
table? The guy I bought the jointer from moved his about 18" in front of
the cutter & pulled the rest of the way. Given there are two operative
parts of the word "kickback," namely "kick" and "back," the "back" part
wants me to never have my hands in front of the cutter but my supply of
infinite long stock is gone. ;-)

-- Mark