Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Power for the shop

"Mike" wrote:

I spent some time looking at the existing dryer line - the dryer plug

is a 3 prong plug, which has 2 hot wires, and one ground - but does
not have a neutral wire.
snip

NBD.

The existing main panel will have L1, L2, N & Gnd.

Pull the N & G from the existing pnl.

Pull L1 & L2 from the existing 2P-50 presently used to feed dryer.

You now feed dryer from new sub pnl.

N & G will also come from sub pnl..

Not sure about your area, but usually when you work on something, you
have to bring it up to current code.

Probably means you will need to replace existing dryer receptacle with
a 4 wire unit and replace the dryer plug to match.

Sounds like the dryer is old enough it may not require any 120V
service.

Lew

So it doesn't look like I'd be able to use
this line to feed my new sub-panel. An electrician I spoke with at
work told me that this setup is common for large appliances such as
dryers - 2 hot wires, 1 ground and no common.

Now it looks like I will have to pull new wire from the main breaker
box out to the shop - this new line would have 2 hot wires, 1 common
and 1 ground. Does that sound correct? If so, then I would want to
disconnect the existing dryer line from the 50 amp breaker in the main
panel and connect the new line to that breaker.