Posted to alt.home.repair
Ed Pawlowski Ed Pawlowski is offline

Default Copper Pipe Question

"Bert Byfield" wrote in message
. 97.131...

There is white crud coming out of some of the copper joints.
What is
that? I expected green corosion instead. Should I replace
all those
joints?

But my primary leak right now is where a water pipe has been
touching
the conduit for the main house power for fifty years or so,
and the
contact has caused a pinhole leak, of 5 or 6 gallons a day.
I'm
looking at inserting a "universal pipe repair clamp" between
the pipe
and the conduit, before I think about replacing sections of
pipe.

The white crud may just be surface corrosion. Clean it off, put a coating
like petroleum jelly on it and see if it comes right back. Or it may be
minerals from the water if in fact there is a tiny leak. If a leak, it will
start in one spot and spread, If corrosion, it usually goes around the
exposed solder.

As for the pin hole, fix it properly by cutting out a section and sweating
in a new one. Then be sure it does not contact the hanger again. Any sort
of rubber will do the job.