Posted to rec.woodworking
[email protected] mws200@psu.edu is offline

Default Power for the shop

On Mar 15, 7:43*pm, Anon Ymous wrote:
Pushmatic breakers? Probably from the 50's or 60's. FWIW, my electrician
friend who likes to go overboard on everything says they are a fire
waiting to happen. I'd go with a new, upgraded breaker panel with a
sub-panel in the shop. Then you can go out and buy some BIG tools!

Replacing the main breaker box at this time isn't an option, unless I
want to skip getting a new saw, then there is no point to this little
exercise! (well, except for having a new, possibly safer main breaker
box)

At this point I'm really leaning towards putting a sub-panel in the
shop. I want to relocate the wire running to the dryer out to the shop
and use it as the feeder cable. The new sub panel would have a 50 amp
breaker for a main disconnect, a 30 amp breaker feeding new wire run
to the dryer, a 20 amp breaker feeding new wire to run the table saw,
and possibly a few 110v circuits for various outlets throughout the
shop. Any major problems with this plan? I've looked at the cable that
currently feeds the dryer, it is about 3/4" thick, round, grey and not
labeled - how best to identify it for sure? Would this plan require
any changes inside the main breaker box?

Just as a disclaimer, I would have everything checked out with an
electrician and so on, at this point I'm just trying to determine if
this plan is feasible so I have a rough idea of the cost.