Posted to rec.woodworking
CW[_4_] CW[_4_] is offline

Default Power for the shop

On 15-Mar-2009, whit3rd wrote:

On Mar 15, 9:09*am, Mike wrote:
I've been looking into getting a new table saw, and since I only have
110v in my shop, I've limited my choices to contractor and hybrid
saws. I started wondering about the possibility of pulling 220v into
the shop and did some poking around in my breaker box. My circuit box
has the old style 'pushmatic' breakers and is completely full

The building trades are available, why not ask an electrician?
Probably, if you dislike the 'old style' breakers, a new breaker
box (or even an upgraded service) would be an option to consider.

It doesn't take a full work day to replace an existing box, just
some prudence and skills, and a licensed electrician can get
your situation sorted relatively easily. Building permit
required, usually.

Back in Nov. I did just that. It cost me about $375 for a new panel,
breakers, plus a 12ft run for my 220v space heater. It took about
half a day. The electrician was happy to get the work and I was
happy to have someone else do it. Now I've got two additional
110 runs and room for 5 (or 2 plus 1) more in my box -- just in case I
want to expand and/or upgrade.