Posted to sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.repair
N_Cook N_Cook is offline

Default conical tip on soldering iron

msg wrote in message
ernet...
N_Cook wrote:

snip
I rarely need to use very fine solder, and when I do, I flatten some 1

mm
solder in a "set of rolls" and then slice the flattened solder with a

razor
blade for an odd inch or so of 1/3mm or so solder.

What is a "set of rolls" (denizen of the U.S. FWIW)? I need to find a sort
of small mangle (compressed hardened rollers) to "de-husk" raw oats a

little
at a time. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Michael

For my translator file
http://www.divdev.fsnet.co.uk/tool_terms.htm
What are "set of rolls" called in USA ?
A proper engineering set pic here
http://www.homeandworkshop.co.uk/891489.jpg
minus handle it seems

I recently bought one of these , not for pasta,
http://www.verynice2.com/images/prod/PASTA-590.jpg
but for the 2 sets of intermeshed roller "guillotine" cutters for cutting
bicycle and motor bike inner-tube down to neat strips for rubber drive band
making (then standard "bean slicing" to cut them down narrower). 2mm ones at
top of pic ( although 4mm for cutting rubber for some odd reason) and 6.5mm
below.
You can only neatly bean slice once you have neat parallel sided strips of
rubber

I've not tried the plain rolls section of the pasta m/c but it is all metal
construction and a neat hidden innternal mechanism, I've not thought how it
works, for varying the gap in 10 lock-down steps and still allow
contra-rotation of the steel rolls.
Overall quite heavy , beefier than needed for pasta anyway. For thick rubber
use the make/break joint between the 2 main sections, is too weak. You have
to swap the handle between sections, and for this use mount the slicing
section in a vice or something.
If I can find something like oats I will try it.

Otherwise for solder (tighter sub-mm gap) this is my set of homemade set of
rolls on my tips file
http://www.divdev.fsnet.co.uk/tips3.htm

--
Diverse Devices, Southampton, England