Posted to alt.home.repair
Ricky Bobby Ricky Bobby is offline

Default how to make dishwasher rack slide smoothly?

"Nate Nagel" wrote in message
Phisherman wrote:
On Sat, 14 Mar 2009 13:07:51 -0400, Nate Nagel
wrote:

Hi all,

I've got a GE POS dishwasher in my house, about 2.5 years old. Since
new (previous owners installed it just before we bought house) I've
hated it for two reasons. 1) the door/hinges are so flimsy that they
will go out of alignment after a while, meaning that the door won't
close smoothly as the plastic liner will be rubbing on the tub, so you
have to grab ahold of it and twist it back into shape so that it will
close smoothly for another couple weeks. Not sure that anything can be
done about this save for buying another dishwasher, which I'd like to do
someday... 2) the upper rack has a lot of friction in its slides, such
that when you're pushing it back in it will suddenly come to a halt
about 1/2 way in, causing all your glasses to fall over etc.

What can I use to possibly lubricate these glides so that this won't
happen? I thought maybe silicone might not get washed off, but spray
silicone really didn't do anything noticeable at all.

Or... should I just buy a new dishwasher? Who makes a GOOD one? One
that won't make me cuss at it for being such a flimsy, noisy, obviously
cheaply built POS?

thanks

nate

My JennAire is going on 18 years. It come with the (new construction)
house. I have been focusing on Whirlpool brand appliances for now,
Bosch is good too. Gotta keep in mind that brand quality can
drastically change over time. You may need to clean the glides and
inspect for damage. I used to know a woman that violently shook her
dishwashing rack to speed air drying--her rack doesn't move as easy as
before.

It's always been like this, since new... worse lately though. Broke a
glass the other day, that ****ed me off.

Maybe I should just shop for a new one. I remember my parents had an old
Maytag in their house (which was built just before I was born) and it
lasted until just before they moved out, so that would be well over 10
years. Heavy sturdy ******* too. Is their quality still where it was?

nate

Current Maytag stuff is garbage. It's at the bottom of the Consumer Reports
appliance reliability surveys for most kinds of appliances. We have Maytag
washer (fixed several times) dryer (fixed once) and a dishwasher that while
it hasn't been fixed, doesn't do a very good job washing dishes.