Posted to alt.home.repair

Default how to make dishwasher rack slide smoothly?

Hi all,

I've got a GE POS dishwasher in my house, about 2.5 years old. Since
new (previous owners installed it just before we bought house) I've
hated it for two reasons. 1) the door/hinges are so flimsy that they
will go out of alignment after a while, meaning that the door won't
close smoothly as the plastic liner will be rubbing on the tub, so you
have to grab ahold of it and twist it back into shape so that it will
close smoothly for another couple weeks. Not sure that anything can be
done about this save for buying another dishwasher, which I'd like to do
someday... 2) the upper rack has a lot of friction in its slides, such
that when you're pushing it back in it will suddenly come to a halt
about 1/2 way in, causing all your glasses to fall over etc.

What can I use to possibly lubricate these glides so that this won't
happen? I thought maybe silicone might not get washed off, but spray
silicone really didn't do anything noticeable at all.

Or... should I just buy a new dishwasher? Who makes a GOOD one? One
that won't make me cuss at it for being such a flimsy, noisy, obviously
cheaply built POS?

thanks

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Nate Nagel" wrote in message
someday... 2) the upper rack has a lot of friction in its slides, such
that when you're pushing it back in it will suddenly come to a halt about
1/2 way in, causing all your glasses to fall over etc.

What can I use to possibly lubricate these glides so that this won't
happen? I thought maybe silicone might not get washed off, but spray
silicone really didn't do anything noticeable at all.

Or... should I just buy a new dishwasher? Who makes a GOOD one? One that
won't make me cuss at it for being such a flimsy, noisy, obviously cheaply
built POS?

thanks

nate

If the rack stops suddenly, I'd think a misalignment is more of a cause than
lack of lube. Maybe some worn plastic guides. Given the caustic nature of
the DW detergent, I doubt any lube would hold up.

I've had nothing but Kitchen Aid for the last 35 years in two different
houses. We had a Hotpoint when we moved in here, but got rid of it after
about a year. Last one we bought a couple of years ago. Bosch does a good
job, but the dealer no longer shows them because of too many service call.
Whirlpool is my second choice. Maytag has three rack, but I've heard they
are not a totally practical configuration. Meantime, the KA gives us
perfectly clean dishes every time. Glasses just sparkle when they come out,
especially my Kolsch beer glasses.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 14 Mar 2009 13:07:51 -0400, Nate Nagel
wrote:

[...]

My JennAire is going on 18 years. It come with the (new construction)
house. I have been focusing on Whirlpool brand appliances for now,
Bosch is good too. Gotta keep in mind that brand quality can
drastically change over time. You may need to clean the glides and
inspect for damage. I used to know a woman that violently shook her
dishwashing rack to speed air drying--her rack doesn't move as easy as
before.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

It's always been like this, since new... worse lately though. Broke a
glass the other day, that ****ed me off.

Maybe I should just shop for a new one. I remember my parents had an
old Maytag in their house (which was built just before I was born) and
it lasted until just before they moved out, so that would be well over
10 years. Heavy sturdy ******* too. Is their quality still where it was?

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Nate Nagel wrote:
Maybe I should just shop for a new one. I remember my parents had an
old Maytag in their house (which was built just before I was born) and
it lasted until just before they moved out, so that would be well over
10 years. Heavy sturdy ******* too. Is their quality still where it was?

I hear not so much...

We have a very old GE that is satisfactory--not perfect, but ok. Given
our very hard water, I suspect none would fare much better.

The problem you're having w/ a newer one isn't--the racks roll on
rollers that are quite functional and the overall construction is
adequately sturdy.

Again, I hear new GE-branded (particularly since the divestiture) aren't
what they were, either. Nobody in town carries GE any longer which I
suppose is telling.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Current Maytag stuff is garbage. It's at the bottom of the Consumer Reports
appliance reliability surveys for most kinds of appliances. We have Maytag
washer (fixed several times) dryer (fixed once) and a dishwasher that while
it hasn't been fixed, doesn't do a very good job washing dishes.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Nate Nagel wrote:

Or... should I just buy a new dishwasher? Who makes a GOOD one? One
that won't make me cuss at it for being such a flimsy, noisy, obviously
cheaply built POS?

thanks

nate

I just bought this one for a tenant, based on this review:

http://products.howstuffworks.com/ke...her-review.htm

Sears.com listed it at $612 but the store had it for $518. I can let you
know in five years or so, whether its any good.
Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Ricky Bobby, Richard wrote:
Had the same problem on a GE, lube it with Pam, works great, spray the rollers
and slides, last for a couple of months.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ly-364167-.htm