Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
F. George McDuffee F. George McDuffee is offline

Default How to tram a Sieg X2 mini mill. Thanks in advance!

On Sat, 14 Mar 2009 18:30:51 -0700, "Michael Koblic"
wrote:

F. George McDuffee wrote:
On Sat, 14 Mar 2009 06:03:38 -0700 (PDT), Jim Wilkins
wrote:

On Mar 13, 9:35 pm, "Terry Coombs" wrote:
Michael Koblic wrote:
Mine tilts back about 0.008" in 3". I have done nothing about it
for fear that I will make things worse.

big snip

Thank you Jim, Terry and George.

The mini-mill column is attached to the base by only two bolts aligned along
the X-axis. The footprint of the column along the Y-axis is only 1.75".
Thus:
1) Limited room for the shims
2) High accuracy required for the shims in terms of thickness and placement.
3) The guys who tried it (according to the group posts) had variable results
at best
4) The column flex exceeds the slant by a factor of 2.
5) There is a very real potential that I could make things worse rather than
better.
6) The quality of work now is limited by the opreator rather than by the
machine.

I am not saying that I will not look at this in the future (might as well
fill the column with concrete, too). At present, however, I am acutely aware
of my limitations.

=========
and you can always trade up
see