Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
[email protected] aribert@c3net.net is offline

Default "Helicoil" installation without the insert tool? Need advice

I had success with making an undersize winder, using the tang as a
drive feature *and* restraining the upper end of the insert with my
fingertips to wind the insert undersize prior to getting it to feed in
to the tapped hole. It actually took 3 tries (destroyed 2 inserts
that got stuck half way in the hole). If that had not worked I was
going to fab a sleeve as reccomended by one of the other posters.
This repair was for a fuel pump for my '61 Ford Falcon. The pump is
made up of a series of castings bolted together. Pump is back in the
car and I even fired the engine up last Saturday.

After I was done I gathered up the remaining inserts and counted them
- what I thought was approx 30 pcs is more like 110 pcs. I gathered
all the inserts, the tap and my winder (a 1/4-20 bolt turned to
slightly less than the minor dia of the threads).

Pirateer guy:
Yes, I am using a special tap for this size/pitch of thread insert but
the brand of insert is a mystery so I was not expecting perfect
results in getting the insert to wind into the tapped bore. As belt
and suspenders, I used Loc-tite on the OD of the insert. The bolt
into the insert was a tight fit (expected since the inserts have the
deformed thread to retain the fastener) and the insert held during 2
or 3 trial assembly and diassembly operations.

On Mar 11, 6:53*pm, Dan@ (Pirateer guy) wrote:
You are using a thread inset tap right? They are special taps. You
can't use a regular tap.