Posted to uk.d-i-y
Pete Zahut Pete Zahut is offline

Default Anyone used Vistec Ltd - self-clean window coating?

Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Fri, 13 Mar 2009 02:06:29 +0000, Steve Firth wrote:

The chemical bond between the silane and glass is the reason that the
glass needs to be chemically clean before applying the rain-X.

Which is what made me think this Vistec coating may well be very
similar, the description certainly is. A kit of RainX cleaner and
solution is probably a lot cheaper than this coated glass. You will
need some elbow grease and time though.

I was always suspicious of the claims for RainX until they had the
kit in CostCo for about £8. What the hell I thought I hate smeary
windscreens so bought it and applied. Very impressed, it does wear
where the wipers wipe in a couple of years but the second
clean/application is easier than the first.

Thanks for the replies guys. The only reason I allowed the salesman in was
that they reckon that you can now get a government grant for it. We live in
a "standard" 1960's 3-bed semi-detached dormer (chalet) bungalow and the
window coating would be £2,500GBP without a grant or £1,500GBP with a
grant!!!!!

Needless to say, I didn't take up the offer - £1,500 pays for a lot of
window cleaner man-hours )