Posted to uk.d-i-y
geoff geoff is offline

Default Repair of reading glasses

In message
,
RobertL writes
On Mar 11, 11:44*pm, "gazz" wrote:
"Bill" wrote in message

In message
, Andy
Dingley writes
On 11 Mar, 14:35, Bill wrote:

I'm told the glasses are 35+
years old and are important because of some feature of the lens coating.

New glasses. Glasses are _really_ cheap these days, even cheaper on-
line, and even with complex coatings.

This would all make sense to me and most people, but I seem to be
committed to a repair. I think the lenses just have some sort of tinting
which makes text easier to read, but it's not for me to ask or comment.

I've soaked some of the old glue in acetone and not much seems to have
happened, so the plan now is to cut out a bit of strong cloth to fit round
the hinges and soak it in epoxy. This will retain the glasses' fixed wing
feature that they must have had for the last many years.

It's all a bit depressing.

why not make them into futuristic glasses, glue some small rare earth
magnets to the stubs where the arms used to attach, then get the person who
wears them to have a couple of flat faces piercing put in their face so the
glasses can cling to their face.

Actually I wonder if I should patent that idea?? would work for those who
wear a piz nez that keeps sliding off their nose, tho they are usually metal
frames, so a couple of magnetic studs in their nose would do the job,

or for those who do not want to pierce their skin, the magnets could
be inserted up the nose and just lodge there.

Might get strange effects when kissing someone who also has magnets
though...

Animal magnetism ?

--
geoff