Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Repair of reading glasses

I don't know why I get sucked into these things....

I have been asked to try to repair the glasses of SWMBO's sister. She
lost her husband last week after a very short and traumatic illness.
Apparently he used to repair her glasses.

Both side arms have broken off at the hinges, and have been repaired
repeatedly with, I'm told, superglue, which has run into and around the
hinges. The frames are plastic but the side arms are all metal, attached
to the frames via the hinges by small plates and two screws. Both breaks
are on the hinge at the side arm side. I'm told the glasses are 35+
years old and are important because of some feature of the lens coating.

She has visited two local opticians who have said they can do nothing
because of the glue. She doesn't seem to want to have an eye test at the
moment. I've done a search and printed out some adverts for frames
repair.

If I'm to attempt a repair myself, I see two possible options.

1. Take the metalwork off the frames, attempt to dissolve the glue with
acetone, then dismantle and attempt a glued repair with epoxy, then
re-assemble the hinges.
2. Glue some hinge-type plastic across behind the existing hinge. Does
such stuff exist?

The third possibility is to just glue something across the hinge area to
make them permanently open, which I assume was the way they were before,
but this seems pretty unsatisfactory.

Any advice? Has anyone ever tried this type of repair?
--
Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Baz Baz is offline

"Bill" wrote in message
I don't know why I get sucked into these things....

I have been asked to try to repair the glasses of SWMBO's sister. She lost
her husband last week after a very short and traumatic illness. Apparently
he used to repair her glasses.

SNIP

Let me be first this time!

Angle Grinder.

Baz

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bill wrote:
I'm told the glasses are 35+
years old and are important because of some feature of the lens coating.

What is the special feature of the lens coating? And has *that* actually
lasted 35 years and not been superceeded by something else?

ISTR We have an optician somewhere in the uk.d-i-y readership here.

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11 Mar, 14:35, Bill wrote:

I'm told the glasses are 35+
years old and are important because of some feature of the lens coating.

New glasses. Glasses are _really_ cheap these days, even cheaper on-
line, and even with complex coatings.

Prism is about the only thing that still cranks the price of lenses up.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message
,
Andy Dingley writes
On 11 Mar, 14:35, Bill wrote:

I'm told the glasses are 35+
years old and are important because of some feature of the lens coating.

New glasses. Glasses are _really_ cheap these days, even cheaper on-
line, and even with complex coatings.

This would all make sense to me and most people, but I seem to be
committed to a repair. I think the lenses just have some sort of tinting
which makes text easier to read, but it's not for me to ask or comment.

I've soaked some of the old glue in acetone and not much seems to have
happened, so the plan now is to cut out a bit of strong cloth to fit
round the hinges and soak it in epoxy. This will retain the glasses'
fixed wing feature that they must have had for the last many years.

It's all a bit depressing.
--
Bill

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 11 Mar 2009 17:16:35 +0000, Adrian C wrote:

I'm told the glasses are 35+ years old and are important because of
some feature of the lens coating.

What is the special feature of the lens coating? And has *that* actually
lasted 35 years and not been superceeded by something else?

Quite not to mention that after the 35 years the chances of the
prescription still being correct are minimal.

She really needs a full sight test and prescription, then see if the old
specs are still suitable if (big if) they are then spend the time/money
repairing them.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Yes. eg from 19 quid at www.glassesdirect.co.uk

David

Even cheaper, if you know your prescription.

These are good value if you need several pairs of glasses. They're very
basic and have a slightly restricted viewing angle but useful for leaving
lying around where you can always find a pair:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/3-PAIRS-Rimles...1%7C240%3A1318

http://tinyurl.com/cee8p9

Cic.

Using Ubuntu Linux
Windows shown the door

Yes. eg from 19 quid at www.glassesdirect.co.uk

I asked a couple of years ago, but have since mislaid the info

There's a company in Watford around Olds Approach which actually makes
prescription lenses

does anyone know who they are ?

--
geoff

Yes. eg from 19 quid at www.glassesdirect.co.uk

Cheap enough!

They don't mention polarising. Is this practical with prescription
lenses?

regards

--
Tim Lamb

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 11 Mar 2009 14:35:16 +0000, Bill wrote:

I don't know why I get sucked into these things....

I have been asked to try to repair the glasses of SWMBO's sister. She
lost her husband last week after a very short and traumatic illness.
Apparently he used to repair her glasses.

Have you got a pic, i'm struggling to see exactly what has broken, is it
the hinge part which has broken off the arms? If the hinges on the frame
front are OK then it may be possible to get a couple of arms.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 11 Mar 2009 14:35:16 +0000, Bill wrote:

I don't know why I get sucked into these things....

I have been asked to try to repair the glasses of SWMBO's sister. She
lost her husband last week after a very short and traumatic illness.
Apparently he used to repair her glasses.

Also...

These people may be able to help,
http://www.nfr.co.uk/
I don't know if they deal direct with the public (looks as though they
might), they are who many in the trade use when it comes to the sort of
repair which needs equipment/expertise not usually available in store.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 11 Mar 2009 23:55:02 +0000, Bill wrote:

I have pointed out the advisability of getting replacement glasses, but
received the same lack of response that I usually get from the ladies.

An opticians may well have the mahcine to read the prescription. If
they're only used in church for reading tiny print then probably a
standard pair of magnifyers (from the chemist/pound shop) will do for
now.
--
http://www.freedeliveryuk.co.uk
http://www.holidayunder100.co.uk
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mar 11, 11:44*pm, "gazz" wrote:
"Bill" wrote in message

In message
, Andy
Dingley writes
On 11 Mar, 14:35, Bill wrote:

I'm told the glasses are 35+
years old and are important because of some feature of the lens coating.

New glasses. Glasses are _really_ cheap these days, even cheaper on-
line, and even with complex coatings.

This would all make sense to me and most people, but I seem to be
committed to a repair. I think the lenses just have some sort of tinting
which makes text easier to read, but it's not for me to ask or comment.

I've soaked some of the old glue in acetone and not much seems to have
happened, so the plan now is to cut out a bit of strong cloth to fit round
the hinges and soak it in epoxy. This will retain the glasses' fixed wing
feature that they must have had for the last many years.

It's all a bit depressing.

why not make them into futuristic glasses, glue some small rare earth
magnets to the stubs where the arms used to attach, then get the person who
wears them to have a couple of flat faces piercing put in their face so the
glasses can cling to their face.

Actually I wonder if I should patent that idea?? would work for those who
wear a piz nez that keeps sliding off their nose, tho they are usually metal
frames, so a couple of magnetic studs in their nose would do the job,

or for those who do not want to pierce their skin, the magnets could
be inserted up the nose and just lodge there.

Might get strange effects when kissing someone who also has magnets
though...

Robert

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bill wrote:

This evening I have established that they were purchased in 1973 and
are only used in church. They have not folded for many years.

All this agro for a pair of reading glasses only used once a week?!

Unless you wife's sister is going for the "bag lady" look, I can't see why
she's so attached to these glasses.

I rather suspect there's another problem (like agoraphobia) that is stopping
her getting her eyes retested or even buying a pair of cheap off-the-rack
reading glasses.

Tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Downie wrote:

I rather suspect there's another problem (like agoraphobia) that is
stopping her getting her eyes retested or even buying a pair of cheap
off-the-rack reading glasses.

Or just needing (and appreciating) the attention of kindly people at an
understandably difficult time in bereavement.

It's not the issue of the glasses non-functioning, it's the repairer -
and the sentiment that these were the personal items that _he_ fixed
might be something stopping her from letting the item go.

A friend that went through the same, was initially demanding with all
sorts of things that she soon managed to sort out for herself and her
satisfaction, having time to think. Events are going at an unwelcome
rush at the moment, and rash decisions... well... :-(

For the OP, Time will heal. Do a patch up job for now, and later down
the line maybe help her get a new set done.

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Adrian C
writes
For the OP, Time will heal. Do a patch up job for now, and later down
the line maybe help her get a new set done.

Yes, that's the plan. The epoxy bodge is now setting - it takes 48 hours
to reach full strength, so they should be 'ready' for Sunday.

It may reveal my age to say that this is the third close bereavement in
the last 4 months. Things haven't been helped because so many people
keep quoting what the Liverpool coroner is supposed to have said.
Something like "Time doesn't heal, things just become easier to live
with". I'm not quite sure how saying that to people is supposed to help,
but maybe I'm more in tune with machines than people.

Thanks to everyone who joined in. I didn't use the angle grinder, but I
did use the £9.99 in the sale Aldi 160W CombiTool to prepare the metal
surfaces. Great value even though it took me ages to find the
non-intuitive on-off switch.
--
Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , gazz writes

"Bill" wrote in message
In message
,
Andy Dingley writes
On 11 Mar, 14:35, Bill wrote:

[...]

Just drill a hole in between the eyebrows (experiment on Alaisdair
Darling first), hammer a rawlplug in, then you can just screw them in

rotate them out of the way when not required

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message
,
RobertL writes
On Mar 11, 11:44*pm, "gazz" wrote:
"Bill" wrote in message

In message
, Andy
Dingley writes
On 11 Mar, 14:35, Bill wrote:

[...]

Animal magnetism ?

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Bill
writes
In message , Rick
writes
Have you got a pic, i'm struggling to see exactly what has broken, is
it the hinge part which has broken off the arms? If the hinges on the
frame front are OK then it may be possible to get a couple of arms.

This address might work, but I can't get a very clear picture

http://picasaweb.google.com/billaboa...73241389106674

The photo shows the arm temporarily attached to the frame with some
tacky foam tape.
The arm part of the hinge is totally worn away and covered in glue. The
frame part has glue inside the two slots in the hinge, although the
screws can be unscrewed on both sides. The metal inserts that hold the
hinges into the frames seem to be glued as well as screwed.

This evening I have established that they were purchased in 1973 and
are only used in church. They have not folded for many years.

Then just stick a blob of JB weld on the join

--
geoff

Posted to uk.d-i-y

RobertL wrote:

On Mar 11, 11:44 pm, "gazz" wrote:
"Bill" wrote in message

Actually I wonder if I should patent that idea?? would work for those who
wear a piz nez that keeps sliding off their nose, tho they are usually metal
frames, so a couple of magnetic studs in their nose would do the job,

or for those who do not want to pierce their skin, the magnets could
be inserted up the nose and just lodge there.

Been done

http://www.technovelgy.com/ct/Scienc...sp?NewsNum=636

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bill wrote:
This evening I have established that they were purchased in 1973 and
are only used in church. They have not folded for many years.

Hi Bill, hope the repair is holding together.

I just got to thinking about what you said above though. Most people who
use reading glasses find that their accommodation worsens over the years and
a prescription that was valid 35 years ago definitely won't be right now. I
appreciate though that they may be "good enough". What I can't help
wondering though is why she's hung on to the same pair for so many years.
Might it be not that they ever had any sort of fancy coating but in fact
belonged to her mother?

It would possibly explain the determination to hang on to them long beyond
their normal life span.

Tim

Over-spray on Reading Glasses, ??Cleaning evodawg[_2_] Woodworking 20 October 18th 08 04:10 PM
Any way to secure tiny screw on reading glasses? Square Peg Home Repair 86 September 19th 08 06:49 AM
Emergency "Reading Glasses" Jeff Wisnia Metalworking 15 May 30th 05 09:38 AM
Reading this ng Matthew Woodworking 0 January 30th 05 07:55 PM
a-HA, found 'em .. safety reading glasses Grant Erwin Metalworking 8 January 7th 05 03:23 PM