Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bill[_18_] Bill[_18_] is offline

Default Repair of reading glasses

I don't know why I get sucked into these things....

I have been asked to try to repair the glasses of SWMBO's sister. She
lost her husband last week after a very short and traumatic illness.
Apparently he used to repair her glasses.

Both side arms have broken off at the hinges, and have been repaired
repeatedly with, I'm told, superglue, which has run into and around the
hinges. The frames are plastic but the side arms are all metal, attached
to the frames via the hinges by small plates and two screws. Both breaks
are on the hinge at the side arm side. I'm told the glasses are 35+
years old and are important because of some feature of the lens coating.

She has visited two local opticians who have said they can do nothing
because of the glue. She doesn't seem to want to have an eye test at the
moment. I've done a search and printed out some adverts for frames
repair.

If I'm to attempt a repair myself, I see two possible options.

1. Take the metalwork off the frames, attempt to dissolve the glue with
acetone, then dismantle and attempt a glued repair with epoxy, then
re-assemble the hinges.
2. Glue some hinge-type plastic across behind the existing hinge. Does
such stuff exist?

The third possibility is to just glue something across the hinge area to
make them permanently open, which I assume was the way they were before,
but this seems pretty unsatisfactory.

Any advice? Has anyone ever tried this type of repair?
--
Bill