Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM[_2_] RBM[_2_] is offline

Default I guess I need to reboot my ceiling fan. Help?

"CraigT" wrote in message
I've got a Hampton Bay ceiling fan that spontaneously started running in
the wrong (winter) direction when I turned it on the other day to dry some
carpeting I had cleaned. From what I understand after talking with the
supplier (through Home Depot) is that it originally came with a wired
remote that had a button that reversed the motor, for summer/winter
setting. I guess the previous owner of the house installed it with a
Hampton Bay wireless remote rather than running a wire to a wall switch.
I also assume that some sort of voltage spike/gremlin caused the internal
brain of the fan to go into winter setting. The tech guy said to try to
force the blades to go in the right direction and turn it on. This failed
repeatedly. He also said to switch the fan off and on quickly, but there
is no direct connection between the switch and fan, so I did try to
disconnecting the power to fan a couple of times. This failed too. The
only thing I can think of to do now is to try this with the hot wire going
down the down rod, but I'll probably want to take off the blades seeing
that I'll be doing this up by a 13' ceiling. Or, I guess I could purchase
a replacement wired transmitter and receiver and hook it up for just a
minute so as to allow me to reset the motor direction.

Any other suggestions?

I had this happen with a HB fan once. Most fans of this type have a small
directional switch mounted on the fan body, but this one didn't. Sometimes
you can press two buttons on the remote simultaneously, which causes it to
reverse, but in my situation, that didn't work either. I think what I did
was drop the fan canopy, exposing the receiver and just reverse the hot and
neutral feeds, hit the remote, which turned it on in the opposite direction,
then put the wires back the right way and the fan continued to go in the
correct direction.