Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Michael Koblic Michael Koblic is offline

Default How to tram a Sieg X2 mini mill. Thanks in advance!

wrote:
I am a beginner

I have the Sieg X2. The Cummins version. I want to make the Z-axis
as square to the table as possible and I don't know how. I want to
drill very straight holes.

I see that the head can be adjusted side by side. By loosing the big
nut in back. How do I make sure this is as straight as possible? I
have used a square and eyeballed it. How would I use a test indicator
or Dial indicator to make it more accurate?

Is it possible to adjust the squareness of the head front and back?
Is there adjustments for this?

How square front and back do the Sieg X2 mills come out of the box?
How would they compare to a quality drill press?

I have collets for the bits I need to use. But how accurate is the
standard chuck that comes with the mill?

Thanks so much for any help!

I see that you posted the identical question on the GrizHFminimill group
(although the e-mail is different).

There are several instructions on tramming in the file section of the same
group.

There is a long thread of a few months back specifically discussing
front-to-back tramming; my impression is that it is difficult and not always
successful. If you do a search on the group it might pop up. Mine tilts back
about 0.008" in 3". I have done nothing about it for fear that I will make
things worse.

For tramming along the X axis I have used the method described he

http://littlemachineshop.com/Info/Mi...UsersGuide.pdf

If you are a beginner and have no access to someone who will teach you, the
DVD series sold by LMS is excellent. Tramming is covered in Vol. 5. I bought
mine rather than renting it and have not regretted it. I keep going back to
review stuff.

Finally, you will not go wrong if you read and follow Jim's instructions.

--
Michael Koblic,
Campbell River, BC