Posted to alt.home.repair
CraigT[_2_] CraigT[_2_] is offline

Default I guess I need to reboot my ceiling fan. Help?

"benick" wrote in message

"ransley" wrote in message
On Mar 10, 2:01 pm, "CraigT" wrote:
I've got a Hampton Bay ceiling fan that spontaneously started running in
the wrong (winter) direction when I turned it on the other day to dry
some
carpeting I had cleaned. From what I understand after talking with the
supplier (through Home Depot) is that it originally came with a wired
remote
that had a button that reversed the motor, for summer/winter setting. I
guess the previous owner of the house installed it with a Hampton Bay
wireless remote rather than running a wire to a wall switch. I also
assume
that some sort of voltage spike/gremlin caused the internal brain of the
fan
to go into winter setting. The tech guy said to try to force the blades
go in the right direction and turn it on. This failed repeatedly. He also
said to switch the fan off and on quickly, but there is no direct
connection
between the switch and fan, so I did try to disconnecting the power to
fan a
couple of times. This failed too. The only thing I can think of to do now
is to try this with the hot wire going down the down rod, but I'll
probably
want to take off the blades seeing that I'll be doing this up by a 13'
ceiling. Or, I guess I could purchase a replacement wired transmitter and
receiver and hook it up for just a minute so as to allow me to reset the
motor direction.

Any other suggestions?

A tech said try to force it to go in the other direction! There should
be a switch on the fan to reverse it. Why not buy the wireless
transmitter.

The wireless transmitters at the HD website do not appear to have a
reverse button....Are you SURE there isn't a little slide switch on the
side of the fan somewhere???

I feel your amazement. As I stood at the top of the ladder I felt the same
way. When the tech told me it was on the wired transmitter, doubly so.

I've probably installed 5 or 6 Hampton Bays and probably the same number of
Hunters and this is the first one I've seen like it.