Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Wes[_2_] Wes[_2_] is offline

Default Recharging Fridge refrigerant (sucess)

"Wild_Bill" wrote:

I wasn't aware of fines for releasing R134a, Wes, but I'd read about the
fines for R12 before.

I was a bit shocked when I read about them myself. I thought all the pain of changing was
for a environmentally safe substitute.

I've been somewhat outraged by the discontinued/removal of R12, but then
allow the sale of R134a to anyone with $4-6 in their hand.
I doubt that a customer even needs to be at least 18. The crap is sold
almost everywhere.

I've got a 30# tank of R134a, only thing the retailer cared about was if my debit card
would clear.

It's gotta make me wonder how many million cans of R134a are sold every year
just in the US, to consumers that will misuse the stuff, possibly many
times, to try to avoid having their car systems properly repaired/serviced
by a qualified AC tech.

Generally they put some in and see if the a/c works. If it works long enough, they put
more in periodically.

It's as if those in charge are implying that R134a is actually good for the
atmosphere.. maybe it cleans the air and actually makes trees greener!

Right. Likely Dow Corning had a patent and the right pockets were lined.

FWIW
I had some cans of Memorex AirDuster duster gas that state on the label:
Chemical Components: Difluoroethane

Propellant made in China
Assembled in USA

These duster products are a very popular retail product, too. They're sold
at many places that sell office supplies, but also at that Shack store, and
a large number of general retailers.

Lip service: we are very committed to "saving the earth". But then, we won't
sacrifice the instant gratification, push-button miracle aerosol produts
that make our lazy lives richer by not having to do any actual work
(cleaning a keyboard with a brush or vacuum cleaner).

I like the convenience of air dusters for small delicate assemblies, but I
might only use 1 or 2 cans per year.

It seems to me that there hasn't been any reduction in the overall numbers
of, or different varieties of aerosol products in recent years, and I
wouldn't be surprised if the numbers have actually increased (butane and
propane have become common propellants, but there seem to be many others).

I know they changed out the mix in areosols a long time back. Can't remember what it was
or what is is now. CO2 seems like it would good for air dusters, I think it goes liquid at
75 psi.

Wes

in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller